I was listening to a podcast recently about work/life balance. The conclusion the ladies hosting the podcast came to after much discussion threw me a bit. They said:
“There is no such thing as a work-life balance.”
As a DC life coach, my #1 personal goal is to live a balanced life.
When thinking about finding life balance, my life coaching training prompts me to consider “being” vs. “doing.”
- Some clients focus on external things like work, relationships and activities, or “doing.” They pay very little attention to what is going on inside their heart and mind.
- Some spend so much time being reflecting or “being” that they can miss out on the experience of living.
When examining your life, consider the level of balance you have in the following areas:
- Mind: Challenging yourself intellectually vs. giving your mind time to rest
- Heart: Giving vs. receiving love
- Health: Eating healthfully, drinking water, exercising vs. resting and indulging
- Work: Pushing yourself to achieve vs. being content and/or celebrating where you are right now
- Social: Satisfying social desires vs. taking time for yourself
- Family: Creating family togetherness vs. setting healthy boundaries
- Fun: Allocating time for things you enjoy vs. making sure you don’t overdo it
Perhaps living that elusive “perfectly balanced” life at all times, in all circumstances is impossible. But getting closer to balance in all of these areas is something we can all strive for. The simple practice of striving for balance can lead to living a more authentic, fulfilled life.
If you get stuck, enlist an ally to help you in this work. My clients overwhelmingly tell me that they’ve discovered fulfillment through life coaching, and a whole new approach to their lives. (Read my many happy client testimonials here.)
Contact me today for a complimentary, no-obligations life coaching consultation and we can work on lighting up your life, giving it more purpose and meaning. Or use the Appointment Scheduler and pick a time that works for you. I coach 90% of my clients over the phone, and my DC-based Life Coaching clients have the option of meeting with me in person. I look forward to hearing from you.