“For last year’s words belong to last year’s language. And next year’s words await another voice.” -T.S. Eliot
- What words will you use this year?
- Our words have an impact on how we feel and how we are seen.
- Here are some quick ways to take control of your speech, feel better, and communicate more effectively with more intentional words.
Be careful with:
– Never and always. They are extreme, final words.
– Break the habit of using the word depressed to describe yourself.
– Avoid the word hate. Again, too extreme and could even deplete your energy.
– I can’t. You might end up believing this about yourself!
– I doubt.
– I’ll try. As Yoda famously said, do or do not do. There is no try.
– I don’t have the time, or impossible. These are very self-limiting.
– I’m afraid not. Avoid saying you’re afraid of anything, even in this figure of speech.
– Just: “I just want to check in and see…” “I just think…” makes you sound apologetic and defensive. Take out the just and sound more confident, without really trying.
– Drop “I don’t know” from your vocabulary. It’s a dead-end phrase! And, I find that typically, the people I work with, in Life Coaching, DO know. My job as a Life Coach is to help them really see and embrace that.
These simple changes will help you speak more positively, feel better about yourself, and establish more authentic connections:
– If you catch yourself complaining, add the word “and” – and a solution. So if you hear yourself saying, “I’m tired,” add “… and I need to get some rest.” “I forgot … and I’ll set a reminder.” You are now providing solutions, which spins even a complaint into something positive and forward-moving.
– Always use “yes, and” … instead of “yes, but” … “Yes, and” allows you to work through conflict in a healthy manner and helps you move forward.
Positive words to use whenever you can:
- I can
- I will
- I know
- I will make the time
- I am confident
- I believe
- All things are possible
Speaking with power and intention creates a sense of accountability and commitment to get the best from yourself and others. Your challenge is to consciously avoid using words that take away energy and commitment from your interactions, and ultimately, your actions.
DC Life Coach Catharine Ecton
Speaking with power and intention will certainly help you feel better; this is one of the tools I use when talking about change with my clients. I believe that by working collaboratively we can change our lives one day at a time through Life Coaching. With the right tools, a few powerful questions and the intention to create something great, we can find the answers within ourselves … and get to where we want to be.
As with any change, it is so much better when you have an ally to help you in this work. To enlist my help, call Catharine Ecton Life Coaching or schedule your free Life Coaching consultation today. In my blog about Life Coaching vs. Therapy, I discussed the differences and reasons why you might want to hire me as your life coach. You can also learn more about how Life Coaching differs from from friendship here.
Many of my clients have told me that working with me through Life Coaching has given them the opportunity to discover their values, be intentional about their goals and to make a plan, take action to realize them. Here are some of the things my clients say they’ve gained as a result of working with me*:
- Self Confidence
- Self Awareness
- Ability to go outside their comfort zone
- A feeling of fulfillment
- An alliance with me
- New perspectives
- The ability to stay focused
- Better decision making ability
- Peace & contentment
- The ability to see themselves in a positive way
*All bullets above are drawn directly from my many happy client testimonials. Read all of my Life Coaching testimonials here.
Contact me for a complimentary, no-obligations life coaching consultation and we can work on making your life a more powerful, positive one together. Or use the Appointment Scheduler and pick a time that works for you. I coach 90% of my clients over the phone, and my DC-based Life Coaching clients have the option of meeting with me in person. I look forward to hearing from you.